Students display culinary skills in Battle of the Blazers Chefs
By Diane Huber | The Olympian • Published June 01, 2008
Timberline High School students measured, chopped, blended and sauteed in a frenzied race toward a different type of finish line last week.
Tension was high as four teams competed to plan, prepare, serve and clean up dinner or dessert in less than three hours. It was the first Battle of the Blazer Chefs, a final project of teacher Liz Lobe's Nutritional Wellness class.
"I think we're going to pull it off. We've got some onions, tomatoes, garlic, peppers and our chicken," said sophomore Stephen Fosmark, 16, whose team prepared a cheesy stir-fry.
At the counter nearby, one student kneaded dough while another grated mozzarella for a barbecue chicken pizza.
"We realized that it will satisfy the whole family, and it will be different than what everyone else is doing," said senior Scott Gagnon, 18.
Future plans
Lobe planned the cookoff at the suggestion of a student, and hopes to expand it districtwide next year. Two teams competed to make dinner for six; two others prepared a picnic dessert. The winning teams in each category took home a cookbook.
Lobe said the cookoff ties together lessons learned throughout the class, which teaches nutrition, meal planning, budgeting and proper food handling. Students learn to prepare meals that are healthy and quick, such as a stir-fry, smoothies and pretzels.
"My plan is that they would acquire a knowledge and an appreciation of food preparation and awareness of a career in culinary arts," Lobe said.
Several students said they do plan to pursue cooking careers.
"I've been cooking since I was a little kid, and I love it," said senior Shane Whaley, 19. "I like making people happy through food. It's my stress releaser. It calms me down."
Whaley's team baked a chocolate roll cake with strawberry jam and chocolate chip filling that wowed the judges and won them first place in the dessert category.
Junior Maria Jones, 17, said she aspires to be a pastry chef. "I like that (cooking) gives you opportunity to be creative. And then you can eat it," she said.
Judging criteria
While aromas of melting chocolate and frying garlic filled the room, judges jotted notes. They rated students on their resourcefulness in planning the dish, their application of food safety and sanitation principles and time management skills.
Judge Mary Nagel, who teaches the nutrition wellness class at North Thurston High School, said teams worked well together and discussed ideas for altering recipes.
"They've got some creative choices going," she said.And at the end of the day, students were proud of their work.
"This is the cheesiest stir fry ever. This is exactly how I wanted it to turn out. ... It's probably the best thing I've ever cooked," Fosmark said.
Jones added: "It was a good experience, actually, for whenever we're in a high-pressure situation where we need to think on our feet."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment